Sunday, June 1, 2014

PLN and Web 2.0 tools

After watching the video about the introduction of PLN, I find an online material to tell you how to build your PLN with Web 2.0 tools. Here is the URL: http://www.slideshare.net/katiemorrow/build-a-pln-with-web-20-tools-fetc-09-presentation
After I went through every slide of this workshop, I  know some fundamental knowledge about PLN and the correlation between the PLN and Web 2.0.
One slide really attract me that the author classified variety Web 2.0 tools into 3 parts: appetizer, entree and slides.

Here is the picture I copied from the workshop

This workshop also list the characteristics of each tool group and I made a table to help me better understand Web 2.0 tools:

Here is the table:
Group
Example
Advantage & Disadvantage
Appetizer
Twitter
Plurk
Advantage: Be connected; Stay current; Keep Learning
Disadvantage:  Lack of content
Main course
Blogs
IChat
Delicio. US
Advantage: Organize; Diversify; Share (Blogs) Save time; Save money; Preserve sanity ( instant messaging software and video conferencing software)
Disadvantage: Lack of timeliness….
Slides
Nings
Wikis
PODCASTS
ALI (Apple Learning Interchange)
Advantages: Anytime; Anywhere; Anything.


And this course also tell me how to start to initiate your own PLN. 
Four steps:
1. Observe and lurk
2. Comment 
3. Ask question
4. Reflect and share 

The pivotal step is "Became a part of the crowd', in other word, you need to be active participator instead of just a lurkers which really inspire me. I am not a shy person in real world, however, I choose to become silence in nearly all community. 

Conclusion:
Before I took the EME 6414, I could never imagin BLOGS could be the main course for Web 2.0 learning. And after I read some much article about Blogs and its implication, I really realize the importance of Blogs. 
This workshops also expand my outlook by introducing many others tools like Nings and Delicious.US, Plurk.  And I spend time in playing Nings which is really fascinating. The only problem is it is not free. 
I think it's time to start to build my PLN. Fighting!!!!!!!!

Interesting Links:

2. Worldle: http://www.wordle.net/ ( Wordle is tool to create your own words clouds from the text you provide. The following pictures is the words cloud of this post.
Reader could easily find out the core parts of one text.





3 comments:

  1. This was really helpful information. I have been struggling with the idea of PLNs for a few days. This was very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of Ning before. Looks interesting. Hope to hear more about how you're using it

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what are you using to build your PLN?

    Incidentally, ning was really popular when it was free. That all changed a few years ago, and so it isn't a host to as many free-floating communities any more. Our IS community was on there, and moved to LinkedIn when the fees came about.

    ReplyDelete